Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tonal Tuesday - Why Do We Sing?

Talk to me and one of your words is sure to push a button that leads to a song.  Even if I have to get creative and rewrite the words or the tune somewhat, I get my idea across with a song.  Our children learned the "time to tidy up" song at nursery school.  All I ever had to do was start the song and they immediately started to put toys and crayons etc. in their proper places.  That song was absolutely Pavlovian in its effect.  The other part was that singing was so much simpler and so much more fun that nagging.  We even cleaned the kitchen after a meal to that song.

I am sure that you have songs or pieces of music you either sing or listen to that are special to you.  Sometimes, it isn't the song but the process that works for us like singing in the shower at top volume.  It just feels good.

1. Listening to music while creating art helps keep the left brain at bay so over-thinking doesn't happen.  Singing when you are on your own will make the creative juices flow.  Really.

2.  Studies have found that people who are ill are often helped by listening to music. This article talks about how singing to children in hospital helps them.   Look at that wee face!
Guitar and patient

3.  Even people working in technology are found to be more creative with music playing.  Now I wonder if the same would hold true if they sang?

4.  When we sing, endorphins or the "feel good hormones" are released.  However, I have choir members who tell me that just looking out to an audience and seeing their enjoyment makes them feel good.

Singing is one of those activities that works with or without an audience.  So why do you sing?  If not, why not?  Saying you can't is a cop out.  Everyone can sing even my completely tone deaf Uncle Ed.  It never stopped him from enjoying a good belt out of a song.

 "Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Berthold Auerbach 

No comments: