Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tonal Tuesday - New Name for an Old Game for Warming Up the Voice

New to the our ETS Blog?
Every Tuesday,  I present a topic about being in or directing a choir. Stop by every Tuesday for your weekly dose of ideas for keeping the Song, Service and Fun in choral work. Browse through our past posts or use the Google Search function on the top left of our blog to search for something specific.  Sign up to get an e-mail alert of each post at the top right of the blog.  Glad to have you with us. 


Warming up the voice before singing is very important.  This exercise has been around forever. I used to do it riding my tricycle around pretending it had a motor.   I don't recommend the fingers at the side of the mouth because I think the mouth should be more relaxed (not to mention losing control of your trike).  Watch this, giggle a bit and then try it.  Ahh, that feels better.  

The good news is that the sound is kept more to the front and not back in the throat which is bad sound, technique and can cause damage over time.  


My favourite warm up of all time was standing in the tiny cell that was our singing classroom with our teacher and the nun whose favour she curried.  The old nun sat ensconced in the single chair while 9 fifteen year old girls pinched their noses and sang,"Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow" on each note in a descending scale.  We valiantly looked down because we knew if we ever made eye contact it was game over.

However, it is an amazing warm up.  It makes me smile every time.  I always tell that story and we have a grand time getting our voices in the right spot.  Someday, if I can keep from giggling like a fool, I will made a video.  In the mean time, enjoy this one.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Those exercises are funny but you gotta do em!

Embro Thistle Singers said...

You are so right. And because you "gotta" do them, you might as well make them fun, I say!