I love going to choir practice. Well, sometimes, when I am tired I think I would rather stay home but once I have arrived and the singers start singing, I am transported. The time flies by and I feel energized and happy no matter what happened that day. See, HAPPY!! Maybe the fake bikini helped.
1. It's a Different Activity - from anything else you might have been doing. The switch from working perhaps with the left brain to relying mainly on the right brain, can give you a sense of peace. "A change is as good as a rest" my mum used to say.
2. You are with Different People - than the people you probably see in your day to day life. although, there may be a few overlaps in people, for the most part your singing buddies will be a different mix than usual. That pushes very diverse buttons.
3. You Become an Important Part of the Whole - Your contribution is as important as the entire group. Without you the choir would not be the same. You realize that your efforts are effective and helpful. You can really see it.
4. Learn Something NEW - Every single time we practice, I learn something new. It is never the same twice. It is a novel sound, a singular adaptation - new and fresh.
5. It Feels Good - to be with people who want to sing and create a great sound. You are all there because you choose to be and that general feeling carries over into all that you do. Oh yeah.
Those are a few of my thoughts. How about you? Why do you direct or belong to YOUR choir?