Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tonal Tuesdays - Peace, Love & Dylan

Did you know that March 19th, 2012 is the 50 year anniversary of Bob Dylan's first album?  Are you impressed that I knew that?  Yeah, well I listen to CBC, Q's, Jian Ghomeshi.  But hearing that made me think about that whole era of music that defined our lives, politics and even fashion.

The only part of the "hippie" movement that touched my life besides the music was the mini-skirts of the late 60's and 70's.   We couldn't buy anything that was at the Queen's length (below the knee) and thus my first music festival competition took place with me on the stage directing in the cutest red and plaid dress with the skirt above my knee.  I am certain that the view from the front row was, shall we say, interesting if not educational.  My dress didn't survive but the music and ideas born of that music have.  I mean how many specials have there been about Woodstock (the concert in the muddy field not the cities or towns)?

The Embro Thistle Singers are currently working on an SATB version of Dylan's, Blowin' in the Wind.  The editor has suggested that we sing it Maestoso.  Now, we all agreed that words are powerful and really make us think about our responsibility to the planet and all the people on it.  But we also agreed that Bob Dylan's version with his guitar and harmonica were far from Maestoso.  I wonder what the person really meant by that direction.

Here is a fairly early version of that song.  Check out his happening hair.  Bob Dylan, Blowin' in the Wind

A great deal of our history has been faithfully recorded in music.  Unfortunately, so much was part of the oral tradition before it could be carefully documented and is lost.  What we do have is to be treasured and enjoyed.  Go ahead, hit that link again, close your eyes and go back - way back.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

You might be interested to know that your blog caused a big discussion on my weekend away recently. That may have been because we had three Oxford grads with music degrees, one of whom is an opera singer, plus another opera singer present. It got everyone talking about singing.

Embro Thistle Singers said...

That is exciting. One can only hope that writing a blog would cause people to think and discuss. Oh boy. I wish I had been a fly on the wall for that one. Thanks.